Thursday, September 20, 2001

Comin' Home

After having been spoiled by Israel's totally awesome transportation system, I have received a rude awakening as to America's abhorrent lack of any sort of public transport. There is an Amtrak bus leaving from Santa Barbara at 6:10 AM which arrives in San Jose at 12:30PM, and costs $38. Unfortunately, when I called, they said you have to catch the bus as part of a connection from another train, otherwise you are not allowed to take it at all. It doesn't make sense until you realize that it's a government operation. I just checked the website, and it seems to be allowing me to make this reservation in spite of the fact that the people on the phone said I can't. If this works out, I can get myself as far north as San Carlos by catching a caltrain connection from San Jose, where the bus line ends. If not, I have to take the 12:45 train from Santa Barbara which lands in San Jose at 8:27PM (f! unny, its about 5 hours by car, max.) which costs $50. I may or may not be able to catch a caltrain connection to San Carlos that late at night.

If it turns out I am not allowed to catch the bus, I will call and let you know so we can work something out for pickup at the San Jose train station. If you don't hear anything, assume I'll be getting there at 1:30 or 2 or 3 in the afternoon (I don't know how late these things tend to run.)

No comments: