Friday, January 20, 2006

The Car Saga Continues

My stolen car finally turned up. What was left of it, at least, minus tefillin ($450,) stereo ($400,) spare pair of glasses ($275,) and mp3 player ($50.) The passenger side window was bashed and it has two flat tires but the rest of it looks in OK condition. Right now it's being towed to Fremont (30 minutes south of here) to be inspected by the insurance assesors.

In the mean time, my insurance company provided me with $25/day to get a rental. I reserved the only car I could afford with that, a compact, but when I showed up to pick it up, they had run out.
"Would you take an upgrade to a mid-size?" they asked.
"Sure!"
After clicking on the keyboard with furrowed brow, the rental car representative replied, "well, I'm sorry but we don't have any mid-size. Can I upgrade you to a full-size?"
"Sure."
More clicking, more consternation, "I'm sorry, no full sizes, can we upgrade you further?"
"Uh... OK."
This went on for some time. I was upgraded to a pickup truck, then a van. After I had accepted the van, one of the drivers pulled up in a Cadillac.
"I'm sorry sir, but all we have available is this Cadillac. Will that be a problem?"
"Uh... no, I think I can live with that."


So now I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company. Someone recently donated an old Ford Probe Rabbi Resnik in Pleasanton which he offered me, but last night he informed me that his wife backed into it pulling out of the driveway, and it's questionable whether the driver's side door will open. It's still driveable though, so that might be my emergency backup if nothing else works.

Meanwhile, I'm crusing the streets of Walnut Creek like the Mac Daddy in my Caddy.

2 comments:

Toto said...

How funny! They sure PIMPED YOUR RIDE! Unfortunately, I'm sure they're not paying the difference in GAS that you're spending with the boat, I mean, caddy!

Enjoy it though! too bad about the rest of your stuff, hope insurance helps cover some of it!

Take care,
~S.

Erica said...

Oh man, you left your tefillin in your car??? I hope they weren't an heirloom or anything. Sheesh, that stinks.