Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Volunteering at Pnei Kedem

In my previous post on the Pnei Kedem kite festival, I mentioned that I had volunteered there last summer. It occurred to me that I never actually posted the photos on the blog, so it's time to remedy that mistake.



An areal photo of Pnei Kedem
Map indicating Pnei Kedem's location, somewhere between Jerusalem and Hebron, a bit to the east.


We all met at the bus station pretty early. The bus ride from Jerusalem to Pnei Kedem can take an hour. Unlike Efrat or Tekoa, Pnei Kedem doesn't have it's own express road into Jerusalem just yet. Maybe some day, once the place gets a bit larger.


Mail collection

One thing is for sure, if you like quiet, you'll love Pnei Kedem

Anyway, we set to work.
Guys in "Lawrence of Arabia" head T-shirts, looking busy.

Some of the outpost's smaller residents return home from school.





Looking east, toward the Dead Sea

You can't see it here, but the wind was so strong, it was pretty much impossible to paint while standing on a ladder. I would get halfway up and be blown clear. Locals report that sometimes the winds are so powerful they can tear the roof right off of a trailer.

Yours truly, painting the big green stripe over fiberglass on the molding of the shul.

The girls painted the playground.

And some of the soldiers on guard came through to do some pullups.

The sun slowly set as Shabbat descended over Pnei Kedem

1 comment:

Dr. David E. Graves said...

Hello, I was wondering if I might have permission to publish a copy of one of your photos of Hebron looking east toward the Dead Sea. you can contact me at d.graves777 AT yahoo.com if you would like to correspond about the request.