Monday, August 06, 2007

An another one bites the dust

The phone's ringing. It's the shidduch. Before picking up, I do the quick mental math. Let's see, it's 9:30 PM. I called her at 6 PM. It took her over three hours to call me back, so experience tells me that this phone call will not go well. I type in sawyouatsinai.com on my internet browser while I answer, "Hey there!"
"Hi."
Tone of voice somewhat droopy. Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking, engines three and four are out and engines one and two are on fire...
"Hey. How was work?"
I enter my username and password to enter the dating website.
"Good. Well, I'm tired. You know, busy day. Yours?"
... we're losing altitude fast. Please place your head between your knees as the flight attendants demonstrated at takeoff.
I surf over to the "Dating status" section, dragging the menu from it's current setting, "dating," past, "out of town," and "engaged," to its final setting, "available."
"Well," I answer, "I'm still working, you know, and the phone's ringing off the hook, but it's all..."
"Look, I think you're a great guy, but I don't think we're a match."
I click "confirm - available."
"Really? Well, I'm sorry to hear that. But I guess if you think so."
"Yeah."
"Okay, well good luck to you."
"You too."
Click. Single again.

No comments: