Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Chanukkah is Here


I'm never sure how to spell Chanukah. Possible variants are:


Hanukah, Hanukkah, Hannukah, Chanukah, Channukah, and Chanukkah.



Okay, that's six permutations. I suppose you could also take off the "h" at the end and that will increase it to eight.


There is a language institute in Israel which specializes in transliterations. Of course, they obviously aren't consulted very frequently, since street signs still have various spellings, so as you get closer to Kiryat Malachi, you could also see it spelled as Qiryat Malahi, or any variant thereof, as you pass different road signs. Or you can just learn Hebrew and read the signs in the language they were intended for.

Why am I rambling on about this? I dunno, long day at the office.

So, it's Chanukkah. Got to yeshivah (although Google spellcheck prefers I spell it "yeshiva") this morning and there was Ephraim (or is it spelled Efrayim? Okay, I think I've done the spelling thing to death,) anyway, what was I saying? Boy, I'm tired. Oh, yeah, so Ephraim was passing out Chanukkah gelt. Little chocolate money things.


Ephraim (right, red hat) dealing Gelt (bottom left.)


Yours truly, getting my fix.

Rav Lisman inspects the oil for the menorah.


All right, back to work.

Chag sameach! And now I sleep.

No comments: