Thursday, July 27, 2006

Giving Notice

A-Minus: 2 Weeks, 5 Days

Well now I've gone and done it.

I came in and gave notice to my supervisor. He was quite shocked. I eventually tried to explain how I'm torn between two countries.
"You picked a pretty lousy time to be doing this," he told me.
"I can understand why people would want to leave, but just imagine if you had a family member who was sick. You would want to be with that person, wouldn't you?"
After that, he seemed to get it.

Then I brought it to the partner in charge of our department. His eyes, grew round with surprize when I told him I was leaving. They grew even wider when I said I was going to Israel. He just sat there with a "Have you lost your [explitive deleted]-ing mind?" expression. I tried to explain it many different ways.
Finally, I said, "Well, you see, I feel like my career has been going very well lately, but my personal life is going nowhere," I told him, "I've wanted to get married and start a family for some time, but I'm having a lot of trouble around here. I've tried the internet, singles events, everything, and none of it seems to work. I figure that if I move over there, I'll have a better chance."
Finally he seemed to understand. Eureka!
"Yeah," he told me, "I get it. The women around here are too liberated. With us Indians, probably about half of the guys go back to India to get married. You need to find a girl who wants to stay home and take care of the kids."

I handed both of them copies of my resume and the telecommuting proposal I had written up. Their reactions were luke-warm. Once the shock wears off, they may wise up and see the logic of my proposal. Or they may simply hire someone else to replace me.

But it's out of my hands now.

2 comments:

Toto said...

It's always bizarre when you have to explain such an incredibly deep decision to people in such a simple way, isn't it? but for many, that is all they understand.

each step is a step forward...you'll be home soon enough!

Ephraim said...

Yeah, but there are so many different reasons to choose from, I can usually find something that people can relate to better.