Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back Up and Running

Boy, those antibiotics really kicked the daylights out of my illness. Special thanks goes out to Alexander Fleming for his discovery of the bacteria-killing penicillin mold on his microscope slide, and his genius in recognizing that this could be made into a drug that helps people who are stricken and can't get out of bed to look for a new apartment.

For his work Fleming won the Nobel Prize in medicine. It's almost enough to forgive the Nobel committee.

Okay, well, maybe not.

I've only taken four tablets so far, and already I've got my energy back and was even able to leave the house today to look at an apartment. It was a place in the area I'm looking for, but the rent was a bit steep. I've been getting nervous, as I've got a week and a half to figure out what I'm doing with myself, and I haven't made any progress on getting out of here.

Rafi and Galila (cousins) said I could live with them as long as I need, and many other friends offered to give me shelter until I figure out where I'm going to live, so having a roof over my head is no problem, thank God. The issue is that I need to be able to work, and I need an internet connection to connect to my Vonage line to receive incoming phonecalls, and in order to have a dedicated internet connection, I need an apartment.

Worst case scenario, I end up throwing my stuff into storage, and then look for a place when I get back from America on September 22nd. The advantage in that case is that I have three weeks where I'm not paying rent. The down side, of course, is that that's right before Sukkot, when business in Jerusalem slows down considerably, so it may take several weeks when I get back to get myself back up to speed.

Anyway, the landlady is outside yakking on the cel phone. It sends chills down my spine. When I get nervous, I just play Bob Marley's "Don't Worry About a Thing," and it chills me out.

No comments: