Monday, May 01, 2006

The Blog it is a Changin'

A-Minus: 3 Months, 2 Weeks, 0 Days

Up until now, I've been using this blog as a dumping ground for all of my writings and emails. A sort of online storage site. No more!

Things are moving quickly towards aliyah, and I want to keep my friends and family (and strangers on the internet who wander in) up to date without flooding their email inboxes, so I've decided to start posting more regularly on this site.

So let's get started...

With the PE exam out of the way, I have commenced "Operation Trash Heap"

Code Name: Operation Trash Heap
Mission Objective: Terminate with extreme prejudice all unneccessary or bulky items. Reduce posessions to an amount suitable to fit into two checked bags and one carry-on luggage. 70 lbs maximum. This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

I posted all my books on ebay for sale last week, and the auctions will be ending in the next few hours. I hope to make a few bucks, but it took me all day to actually scan and post the pictures, so I'm not sure I'll make a profit. Ebay is a vast money trap. It's exciting to post and watch your auctions increase, but when you calculate the hours you spent writing the ads (it took me all Sunday last week) and then compare to the amount I make per hour at work, it really just doesn't add up. Still, its good to know that my books are going to loving homes, and won't simply be dumped into a recycling bin.

Right now I'm sitting at my desk, feeling awfully sore and tired, just glad to be sitting. You see, yesterday, I began the process of photographing everything I own, since I have to sell it. I'm going to set up an internet garage sale, which will consist of a website presenting pictures of all my fine hardwood furniture, antiques, computers, and other worthless junk I'm trying to offload. I will then advertise the website on craigslist. Potential buyers will be able to contact me via email so we can arrange a time for them to pick up the stuff they want to buy. That's the idea, at least.

So, yesterday morning I cleaned up and got the place looking spiffy. My grandfather came over to watch and videotape the event. I went through the entire apartment, photographing everything. I began at 11:00 AM and didn't stop until about 7:30 PM, constantly lifting and moving and photographing. I moved with great speed and agility, but even after 8 1/2 hours, I was only able to photograph approximately 73% of my posessions. I'll have to pick it up some time later this week.

Today, I'm so tired I just want to sit at my desk and work on my engineering drawings and submittals. Fortunately, there's a ton of work to be done, and now there's even more since I've been sitting here and not doing it.

There's lots more to write, lots more going on with my visa, Nefesh B'Nefesh, and my future plans, but I'll save it for my future posts. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Toto said...

OMG! How funny....picturing you going through your stuff taking pictures of it all! what a trip! I'm just piling it all up in the corner of the garage till we're ready to have another yard sale. Curious to see how the internet gar. sale goes for you!

Glad to hear you'll be posting more! Can you believe the time..... in 4 days I will be under the 2 month countdown! HOLY S%*T!!!!!