Thursday, August 24, 2006

Correction

I was thinking of my update last night about my cell phone, speciffically the sentence, "The semi-illegality made it all the more thrilling."   I want to make clear that I am paying full price for a service I'm entitled to, and do not encourage "semi-illegal" behavior, as that's one of the problems with this country.   What I was trying to convey was that I found it humorous that the sales clerk was trying to pump up my ego, as if I were Ethan Hunt breaking into the CIA central headquarters when all I was doing was buying a stupid cell phone.  A sort of, "Now you're a real Israeli."
 
And my attempt to settle myself in the land continues.  I just made it to the absorbtion ministry and registerd my new bank account, so now I can begin receiving directly-deposited payments from the government.  Nefesh B'Nefesh arranged the appointments, but it was still first come first served.  Sitting in line, I received a slap on the back.
 
"Eseh!"  It was , David, the Mexican from my Toronto flight, getting in line behind me,  "What is this, the Gringos always think they come first?"  Looking at my Nefesh B'Nefesh bag, "What, you're still using your bag?   Don't you have a backpack?"
I glanced at his ratty backpack, "And what do you call this thing?  Did you swim across the Rio Grande wearing this?"
"Aw, you should know better.  The Gringos took all the water.  I walked across."
The door opened, my turn.  "Well, don't be jumping any more borders.  Three is enough."
"Comprende, mi amigo."
 
 
My bank account registration was successful, and not a minute too soon.  I had to borrow 100 shekels from Rafi when I used the last of my absorbtion ministry money to buy my cel phone.  And my Visa is, for whatever reason, not working properly, so I guess Visa is not everywhere you want to be.
 
Now, I've got to get a ride from Moshe, to take me to see an apartment.  If I don't write beforehand, Shabbat Shalom!
 
 

1 comment:

Ephraim said...

Daniella,

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think that I'm unappreciative of the generosity that I've received in landing here, both from the Israeli people in general, or those specifically helping me like the Sochnut or Nefesh B'Nefesh.

I think that picking up and moving here is about as great a statement I can make about what I think of Israeli culture on the whole. If I thought American culture and life were "superior," then why would I have come here? I'm surprised you didn't pick up my appreciation for the enthusiasm and open arms I have received so far. Perhaps you should re-read a few of the entries I've made since landing here.

But the fact remains that there certainly are major cultural differences, and America does have certain advantages. There are two ways to handle these. Some Americans curl up in a ball and hide from the country, hanging out with their Anglo friends and whining. I choose to simply accept it with a sense of humor. I don't consider this Lashon Horah (slander), but adjustment to reality.

BTW, Israelis themselves will tell you that the banking system here is WAAAY behind the rest of the world. I didn't invent that.

I do not consider Israelis my "hosts." I am now a citizen, paying taxes, potentialy being called up for army service, and sharing in the risks of living here. So don't think I'm not going to speak my mind.